Shawn Porter ready to face Terence Crawford if a proper offer can be made – Boxing News


Former two-time welterweight champion Shawn ‘Showtime’ Porter 31-3-1 (17) won’t accept short money to face WBO 147-pound champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford 37-0 (28).

The 33-year-old says he has told Crawford’s promoter Bob Arum that a one million dollar pay cheque would be rejected.

“I’m not taking a million,” said Porter on The Porter Way Podcast. “I’ve done the best I could in sending a message to Bob Arum, and I also know people that know Bob.

“I’ve told them, ‘Tell Mr. Arum, I don’t mean any disrespect, and I know he doesn’t. If you’re going to low ball me, don’t do it. If you feel that’s how you get out of fighting me, that’s weak.

“Don’t do it. However, if you want to make the fight happen, don’t lowball me. I’m worth more than a million dollars. F a million dollars. I’m going to keep it as clean as possible, but I’m not fighting Terence Crawford for one million dollars.”

Porter insisted he was keen on the Crawford fight if both sides could come to financial terms.

“We’re fighting next year, as long as the money is right,” he said.

“Outside of that, what would I have to argue about? We’re going to fight at the MGM in Vegas. We’re not going anywhere else to fight. Even if there aren’t any fans, I’ve been there and done that. I think the world needs it.

“If next year rolls around, and I’m not getting my fight with Terence, I’m not getting my fight with EJ, and for whatever reason, Manny Pacquiao isn’t willing to fight me.

“I’ve already expressed my disinterest in fighting Keith Thurman, but again, I understand that if that’s the only thing I can get and he turns up and gets an injury or something like that, you may not see Shawn Porter fight in 2021.

“I’m not fighting one of the young guys. There are guys that haven’t earned the right to be in the ring with me and I’m not going to take a step back.

“This is going to be Fight of the Year or a candidate for Fight of The Year [with Crawford].

“There’s no doubt, I know who I am and I know what I can do. Beyond that, I spoke to my dad on Wednesday. I said, ‘Have you talked to AH [Al Haymon]?’ And he said, ‘No, we haven’t talked in a little bit.’

“I said, ‘Have you thought about anything as far as the mandatory’s are concerned about activating these clauses that I have been seeing in the news.’

“He said, ‘No, I don’t know about that. Let me give him a call.’ That was on Wednesday. I expressed to him my interest in fighting one of three people next year, if not two or all three.

“Those three being Manny Pacquiao, Terence Crawford and Errol Spence.”

Porter added that a rematch with WBC and IBF champion Errol Spence Jr 27-0 (21) – who he lost a split decision to last year – makes far more sense than a rematch with former WBA champion Keith Thurman 29-1 (22), who he dropped a seven rounds to five decision to over four years ago.

“There’s no secret that [a fight with Spence Jr] would have played out a lot differently with him and I then with Danny [Garcia] and he, but I didn’t want to be the first guy that he got back in the ring with,” Porter said.

“He half prepared for the fight, and then we see him in the ring against Manny Pacquiao. Okay, Keith is still there, and he can be relevant in the sport. He lost to Manny, but he lost to a legend.

“We saw how he lost. He didn’t get beaten down. I know he had some injuries. The same goes for Errol Spence Jr. Coming off that accident, I didn’t want to be the first guy he got in the ring with.

“Now that we can see what he can do, it’s worthy of another great fight. For myself, I feel like I’m beyond the rematch [with Thurman] and I’m looking for something better.

“Even in expressing to my dad how much I’d like a fight with Terence Crawford, if we talk about the money, you fight Errol Spence Jr because you know everybody is going to get done right. The share is going to be what it’s supposed to be. There’s no question if you go Errol Spence Jr’s way.”





Source link